After the Loaf, we headed to lunch in Ipanema, which was the second time I got to enjoy Brazilian BBQ (HOL-Y-COW). We then jetted under Christ the Redeemer and went to the National Stadium and, effectively, the National Shrine to Brazilian soccer.
I'm no soccer guru or fanatic, but it was still impressive to see the footprints of some great athletes--legends, really. I think one of our program directors put it best: like the best dancers are born with uncanny sense of rhythm and movement, these people were just born with a gift and greater natural propensity to play soccer; Brazilians, and the rest of the world, are the lucky ones to watch the results of those gifts.
Following the stadium, we concluded our tour at the Botanic Gardens. I figured that the Gardens would be a nice, intentionally planted area, much like what you would see in Denver, Chicago, or any other city. And while there was certainly some consciously planned areas, it might as well have been a fenced off portion of the adjacent Tijuca National Forest. It was a beautiful place, and I could spend much more time there.
the tree from which Brazil gets its name. Its bark
is a deep red and has been used to make inks and
dyes, among other things.
is a deep red and has been used to make inks and
dyes, among other things.
Returning to soccer, yesterday night we went to a local restaurant to watch Brazil play Argentina in a World Cup qualifying match. The game meant nothing to Brazil (save for national pride and face), but Argentina apparently was/now is on the bubble for not qualifying (crazy). Still though, Brazilians packed the house...and went wild when Brazil scored...three times. I can only imagine what it must have been like to be in the stadium watching. Experiencing Brazilian soccer first-hand is certainly on my to-do list.
I hope everyone is enjoying the long, Labor Day weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment