Monday, November 9, 2009

My Favorite Portuguese Verb

Good grief, I am terrible Portuguese teacher. In an effort to make up for lost time, we'll just skip 'good morning' (bom dia), 'good afternoon' (boa tarde), 'good evening' (boa noite), 'hello' (Oi!), 'how are you?' (tudo bem?), and 'where is the bathroom' (onde esta o banheiro?) and cut right to the most important thing you need to know:

LANCHAR
(lanh-shah) v: (1) to snack (2) to eat a meal between/before/after the regular meals of breakfast, lunch, and dinner (3) the Portuguese verb for Benjamin's favorite activity; OTHER FORMS: lanchar a snack; lanchonete a snack stand; Ex. Benjamin lancha muito (Benjamin snacks a lot).

But what exactly do I snack on? Great question.

ANSWER:

1. Açaí: Meet South America's most potent berry. Seriously, it's like a blueberry, cranberry, and pomegranate all rolled into one...and better. Typically, the juice purple-black berry is used to make a very thick shake/smoothie known as 'Açaí Copo (or) Tigela.' These shakes (the berries in general) pack quite a dietary punch: a serving of 100g has around 500 calories, 45g of carbs, 30g of fat, and 8g of protein. And I would guesstimate that there are 2-3 servings per shake. This may be the Brazilian thing I miss the most. Each shake costs around US$1.70, so it's hard not to say no to having a shake of the best fruit juice you'll ever taste...at least 3x a week :)

Once it touches your lips...

2. Salsichao: These small, snack-able sandwiches have Brazilian sausage links (cut in quarters), grilled pineapple slices, and a slice of white cheese served on a warm, grilled piece of bread. I had my first 5 weeks after my initial arrival. Why it took that long for me to follow my nose, listen to my roomates' advice, and come to my senses? That would the million-dollar question.

3. X-Tudo: I discovered these in Ouro Preto, and two weeks ago my roommates told me that they exist in Rio de Janeiro (and all God's people said, 'Hallelujah!'). These sandwiches put anything the BK Lounge, McDonald's, or anywhere is America offers to shame: hamburger patty, soft-boiled egg, ham, cheese, (sometimes) a chicken patty, potato crisps, onions, peppers, and the works of condiments. OMGetinmystomach.

Now, you may now be thinking, 'I'm hungry, and I'm going to Rio de Janeiro. Where will I find these wonderful things?' Another great question.

ANSWER:

1. Big Bi: One of the largest lanchonete chains, this place offers the best and cheapest açaí drinks. The people are always friendly. With bar stools and outdoor seating, you can chat it up, enjoy the ocean breeze, and catch up on your favorite Brazilian telenovela as you wait for your order. And you won't have trouble finding it/one since there is at least one on every block (lanchonetes are to Brazil what Starbucks are to the US-that is, at least one exists at every corner of every block...and there are many more in between).

Walk a block and you'll find another one. For real.

2. Cervantes: This place is a 2 minute walk from my home. My roommates raved about it for weeks, and I was like, 'Yeah, yeah. WHATEVER.' Then the fateful day occurred when I was out of food but luckily in possession of some extra cash. A two-minute walk later, and thus began my addiction to this place and its food. Seriously, there is no better cheap place to eat in Copacabana or Rio de Janeiro.

It's got a great atmosphere, too.

3. Lapa: You may be initially weary of the small stands that exist in Rio de Janeiro's nightlife center and the food they produce, but once you have one bite of a X Tudo at one of them, you'll forget about any apprehensions. These people know what they are doing, and their food is evidence to that fact. X Tudos may now be my primary reasons for going out on Saturday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment